Wednesday, August 8, 2012

lesson 33/manual 1


What a great lesson and a very important one. With all the media that we're exposed to today we have to be very careful what we allow into our minds. 

A few of the stories that I used in the previous lesson would also work great in this one.  One of Satans greatest tools is "just a little isn't a big deal".  

One of the first things that came to my mind while I was reading through this lesson was the Mr. Yuk stickers from when I was a kid. Does anyone else remember those?


And if you're not really familiar with Mr. Yuk you can always use the skull and cross bones. 

I would bring some of those things listed in the lesson like rat poison, bleach, etc. and have them on my table. 

I love the line by Bishop H. Burke Peterson "we must not feed ourselves on a diet of trash"

I would have a place setting on the table (plate, fork, spoon, glass, placemat, napkin) and on my plate I would place trash. I would also print out this line and put it like a place card by the plate. 

For the treat I would attach to the quotes and stories for the girls to do during the lesson I would attach a those mini trash can candies. 


If you can't find these you could always get empty ones and fill with your own treats. 
you can buy these here

or you could use this toxic waste candy 
which you can buy here

I also found a great object lesson to go along with the egg one that the manual has on Mormon Share
it goes like this:
Ask the class if the would like some popcorn. After someone volunteers take out a peice of popcorn chew it up and spit it back into the bag. Shake it up then offer it to the person who wanted it. (they should no longer want it.) Then simply say, "What, it is only one little piece." Small things can contaminate something that is otherwise good, like a movie, book, song or tv show.

I would do this object lesson at the end of the lesson and then hand out these popcorn treats for the hand out with the guidelines for evaluating media. 

There are some great popcorn recipes out there
I found this on Pinterest but the link was a server error.

And I've see these popcorn containers at Target in their dollar bins. 

How cute would that be filled with candied popcorn and wrapped up in cellophane with a cute bow. 
I've also seen popcorn bags at the dollar store which would be cute as well. 

I've created a tag to go with this popcorn hand out. 
you can download it here




As always if you are unable to download the printable please contact me by email and I would be happy to send you the file directly. My email can be found on the side bar. 

Have a great lesson!



Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tiffany! I wanted to tell you that I LOVE the popcorn idea! Thanks for posting your thoughts so that uncreative people like myself can present a great lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loooove your blog! Thank you so much for the cutest ideas. My YW thank you, too! :)

    ReplyDelete