Thursday, July 19, 2012

Lesson 30/Manual 1


So many fun things to do with this lesson. I got some great ideas from Sugardoodle, some of my favorites are: 

First was this great handout idea about doing all you "can". 
She made a label and attached it to a soup can. I would take it one step further and make that can into a treat can. I've done these cans before as a Visiting teaching treat for my ladies. 
here is the can I made
and here's where I learned to do them.
What you do is cut off the bottom of the can and empty and clean it out then refill it with treats and reseal the bottom back on. Be sure to use pop top cans and for the lesson I would find the small cans, like lunch snack size. 
The label from Sugardoodle read:
Do all the GOOD you can
By all the MEANS you can
In all the WAYS you can
To all the PEOPLE you can
At all the TIMES you can
For as LONG as you can

Helping comes in CANS not in CAN’TS
May your cupboard be filled with CANS!!

* Updated 7/26/12~ I've created a can label that should fit the small fruit cans. If it's too big just trim to fit, too small and you can back it with a solid paper first. 

you can download it here
* update~ I've added a new label because the white writing is too hard to see when you print them out. 

I also found a great little story about service from This 'n' That
The story goes: 
One day a man said to God, “God, I would like to know what Heaven and Hell are like.

God showed the man two doors. Inside the first one, in the middle of the room, was a large round table with a large pot of stew. It smelled delicious and made the man’s mouth water, but the people sitting around the table were thin and sickly. They appeared to be famished. They were holding spoons with very long handles and each found it possible to reach into the pot of stew and take a spoonful, but because the handle was longer than their arms, they could not get the spoons back into their mouths.

The man shuddered at the sight of their misery and suffering. God said, "You have seen Hell."

Behind the second door, the room appeared exactly the same. There was the large round table with the large pot of wonderful stew that made the man's mouth water. The people had the same long-handled spoons, but they were well nourished and plump, laughing and talking.

The man said, "I don't understand."

God smiled. “It is simple,” He said, “Love only requires one skill. These people learned early to feed one another. Those who are hungry are greedy people, and they think only of themselves.

It would be cute to attach this little parable to a cute wooden spoon. I found some ideas for decorating a wooden spoon. 

                                                   Tape off the handle and paint stripes


Just dip the handles in bright colors. 

you could also use some ribbon and twirl it around the handle. This is a spoon I made for a Christmas treat and you could see that you could attach the story and maybe a little treat. 


A great object lesson on how we give our service, is it with a grudge or with a smile?


Display nice cake. Ask who would like a piece. Sometimes no one will take a piece as they smell a rat! I'll then cut a nice piece for one of the leaders - given on the china with a nice napkin and fork. They usually tell me how tasty it is and then the girls all want a piece. I then slash a hunk of cake off ;and toss it in the paper napkin squishing it a bit and handing it over without a smile. The object is how it's how we serve not what we serve. The cake is the same cake but tasted so much better when served in a kind thoughtful, manner.

I've actually seen this done and it leaves a big impact. 

There was also this great idea of leaving a calling card after you've done an act of service.
I've made up a card you can print out and give a few to the girls to leave behind after they've done a good deed. 


you can download this card here



I also have found some great sites with ideas for service. 

This one has 52 great ideas. I would print out the list and give it to the girls with the sneaky service calling cards. 

This one was more geared toward Christmas time but you could adapt some of her ideas


I always like to break up the lesson a bit with a video so they can hear someone else testify to what it is I'm trying to teach. This is a great video by Pres. Monson that I would use. 



Definitely read the additional resources on the side bar of the lesson, so many good talks to take from. 

Hope I was helpful and please don't feel you need to do it all just take what works for you. 

Have a wonderful lesson!


*if you have trouble downloading my printables please email me at the email address on my sidebar and I would be happy to get them to you directly. : )




Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. You have a talent to take things and enhance them and make them more fun and exciting and I so so appreciate you taking time to put these ideas up so I, and many others I'm sure, can benefit. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for taking the time to blog these great ideas. They have really helped me, and many others, I am sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much!! I was trying to get ideas for my lesson this weekend and a friend pinned this on Pinterest, this will help me and can't wait to something fun for the girls!

    ReplyDelete